Topkapi Palace Location | Address, Getting There, Directions
Sitting on the banks of the Golden Horn, Topkapi Palace, otherwise known as Topkapi Sarayi, is a gorgeous monument that once served as the main residence and administrative headquarters of the Ottoman Empire. After the fall of the Ottoman Sultanate, an order was passed to turn it into a museum, allowing visitors to take a walk through its courtyards and feel like royalty themselves.
Here’s all you need to know about Topkapi Palace’s location, ways to get there, directions, and much more.
Topkapi Palace Location
Address: Topkapi Palace Museum, Cankurtaran, 34122 Fatih/İstanbul, Turkey
- What is the best way to get to Topkapi Palace?
The best way to get to Topkapi Palace would be to head there by tram. The nearest tram station is Gülhane istasyonu, which is less than 10 minutes away from the palace by foot. Otherwise, you could even go by car, but you will have to park your car at a paid car parking service nearby as there is no parking available at the palace premises.
Getting to Topkapi Palace
The closest bus stops are at Akbıyık and Sarayburnu. Take the buses 28T, 30D, 46Ç, 47E, 99A, BN1, EM1 and get down at one of these stops. You can walk the rest of the way looking out at the beautiful estuary where the Golden Horn, river Bosphorus and Marmara sea converge.
Akbıyık is an 11-minute walk and Sarayburnu is a 20-minute walk from the palace.
Tram T1 will take you to Topkapi Palace. Gülhane istasyonu and Sultanahmet are the nearest tram stations. From Gülhane istasyonu, Topkapi Palace is 9 minutes away and from Sultanahmet, the palace is 11 minutes away by walk.
The trains running on the Marmaray (Atakoy - Pendik) line will take you to Topkapi Palace. The nearest train station is at Marmaray Sirkeci İstasyonu, which is a 15-minute walk from the palace.
The nearest metro station to Topkapi Palace is the Vezneciler subway station. From here, if you don’t mind the distance, the palace is about 30 minutes by walk. Otherwise, you can walk to the Laleli - Üniversite tram stop, which is less than 5 minutes away, and get down at Gülhane istasyonu.
You can also get to Topkapi Palace by taxi. The taxis in Istanbul work on meter fare. The minimum fare is 5.00 Turkish lira or €0.32, per kilometer fare is 3.10 Turkish lira or €0.20. Waiting charges per hour is 18.00 Turkish lira or €1.15.
Topkapi Palace is located at Cankurtaran, 34122 Fatih/İstanbul, Turkey. You can just add in the location as Topkapi Palace on Google Maps or any other navigation system in your car. However, there are no car parking facilities at the palace, you can park your car at Sports Car Park or Otopark, both of which are about 10-minutes walking distance from the palace.
Directions to Topkapi Palace
- From Akbıyık, walk on Kennedy Cd. and then turn into Ahırkapı Cd. Walk straight for about 30 meters and then turn right to stay on Ahırkapı Cd.
- Continue to walk as the road curves for about 80 meters and then take a slight left onto Cankurtaran Meydanı Sk.
- Continue for another 110 meters and then turn left onto Adliye Sk. Take the stairs and then continue straight for another 100 meters.
- Take a right onto Kutlugün Sk. and after 110 meters, turn left onto İshak Paşa Cd. after Hotel Valide Sultan and then continue for another 130 meters.
- Turn right onto Soğuk Çeşme Sk. and you should be able to see one of the entrances to Topkapi Palace ahead.
- Head south-east on Ebussuud Cd. toward Alemdar Cd. and then turn right.
- Continue straight for about 170 meters and then turn left onto Gülhane Parkı and then turn right once you pass through the arch.
- Continue on the path for about 300 meters and then turn left. Continue walking for another 100 meters and the Topkapi Palace should be right ahead.
- As you exit the train station, head towards Muradiye Cd. and then turn right onto Orhaniye Cd. and then continue straight for about 120 meters.
- Turn left onto Ebussuud Cd. and continue walking for another 230 meters.
- Turn right onto Alemdar Cd., after which you can either turn left into Gülhane Parkı in a little more than 100 meters or continue straight for about 300 meters and then turn left onto Mustafa Dede Sk. Take the stairs.
- Turn left onto Caferiye Sk., continue for about 100 meters, and then turn right onto Soğuk Çeşme Sk. and continue for another 200 meters. The entrance to the palace will be on your left.
- After you exit the subway station, head south on Büyük Reşitpaşa Cd toward Vidinli Tevfikpaşa Cd. Continue walking for about 280 meters.
- Turn left onto Ordu Cd. and continue walking straight for about 1.6 km over Yeniçeriler Cd., then over Divan Yolu Cd., and then head onto Alemdar Cd. as the road curves.
- Continue straight once again for about 200 meters and then turn right onto Soğuk Çeşme Sk. Continue for another 210 meters and the entrance to Topkapi Palace should be to your left.
- Head southwest on Salkım Söğüt Sk. toward Yerebatan Cd. and then turn left onto Yerebatan Cd.
- Continue straight for about 180 meters and then turn left onto Alemdar Cd. Continue straight for another 200 meters and then turn right onto Soğuk Çeşme Sk.
- Walk for another 210 meters and the entrance to Topkapi Palace should be on your left.
Frequently Asked Questions About Topkapi Palace Location
A. Topkapi Palace is located in Istanbul, Turkey.
A. Topkapi Palace is well connected by the public transport system in Istanbul. The nearest tram station is less than 10 minutes away. Bus stops and the train station are also located less than 15 minutes away by foot.
A. The closest tram station to Topkapi Palace is Gülhane İstasyonu.
A. The closest bus stop to Topkapi Palace is at Akbıyık.
A. The closest train station near Topkapi Palace is the Marmaray Sirkeci İstasyonu station.
A. Unfortunately, there are no car parking facilities near Topkapi Palace. However, there are paid car parking services nearby, the closest one being Sports Car Park.